CHURCH HISTORY

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. Hebrews 11:8

Great Faith for a Bold Mission

In the year of our Lord, 1892, Little Grove Baptist Church was formed by a small band of worshipers living in the Nansemond County area who were attending Grove Baptist Church. The organization of the church was the result of problems encountered with bear attacks when worshipers traveled to the Churchland area for services at Grove.

Early services were held at the Samaritan House under the leadership of Minister Thomas H. Hill. Little Grove Baptist Church was established on what is now known as Towne Point Road, Suffolk, VA. Following the leadership of Pastor Hill, Little Grove was guided by the following Undershepards; Pastor J.W. Riddick, Pastor C.E. Redd, Pastor J. W. Thomas, Pastor Charles Johnson Williams, Pastor Roy Lewis Elder, and Pastor Harold L. Cooper.

It was great faith that ignited the few dedicated servants of the Lord to plant Little Grove Baptist Church. Great faith motivated many generations of preachers, leaders and worshipers to lay the strong foundation on which we stand. Great faith carried those who have gone to get their great reward. Great faith in a great God, who gave Himself for us, is why LGBC celebrates 121 years of the lighthouse and 20 years of the Pastor Ralph Richardson III.

The same great faith demonstrated by Abraham is the same faith that our elders lived out to receive the promises of God. It is the same faith that we celebrate today. We bless the Lord for equipping us to exude great faith in order to carry out the bold mission of soul winning!

Go to top